Kelly interviews author and educator, John Stevens, about the book Classroom Chef: Sharpen Your Lessons, Season Your Classes, and Make Math Meaningful. John co-authored the book with Matt Audrey.
John Stevens is an educational technology coach for Chaffey Joint Union High School District who has also taught high school Geometry, Algebra 1, middle school Math, Service Learning, and Robotics, Engineering, and Design since 2006. As the co-author of “The Classroom Chef”, he has served as the go-to guy for trying new, crazy, and often untested ideas to see how well they will work.
He co-founded and moderates #CAedchat, the weekly teacher Twitter chat for the state of California. He also is the co-founder and organizer of EdCamp Palm Springs, the first in the area.
In his free time that doesn’t exist, he runs a site called Would You Rather? which is dedicated to getting students talking about math. He is an author of Flipping 2.0, a resource that helps teachers take the flipped classroom to the next level. During recent summers, John has had the honor of presenting at CUE Rockstar events in California and various technology and math conferences. John blogs at fishing4tech.com. His latest adventure has led him into the world of 3D-printing, designing lesson plans and curricula for AirWolf3D. Follow him @jstevens009 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mentioned in this podcast:
Books that arrived this week:
• Kids Deserve It! by Todd Nesloney and Adam Welcome
• 50 Things to Go Further with Google Classroom by Alice Keeler and Libbi Miller
• Instant Relevance by Denis Sheeran
• The Writing on the Classroom Wall by Steve Wyborney
• iPad Pro 12.9 inch: The greatest device I have ever owned. Wow!
• Apple Pencil: I love this. Wow!
• Logic hard shell case and backlit keyboard for iPad Pro: this is the best keyboard and case available for the iPad Pro.
• Omoton Leather sleeve for iPad Pro with document folder and Pencil holder: this is awesome and less the $15 bucks.
John's favorite book is Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
App: Desmos graphing calculator