In this podcast, Kelly interviews Jon Jarc. Jon is an Apple Distinguished Educator. This episode will "awaken" many fantastic ideas for you and your classroom. Get ready for an inspiring conversation with two passionate educators.
Jon is a teacher, technologist and artist. He has been teaching high school students for 18 years, and has worked as a free-lance graphic designer for the same. He enjoys designing solutions to complex tasks, and being creative in how technology can build literacy skills in all academic areas. Jon is also an avid photographer and music enthusiast.
Follow Jon on Twitter at @TrendingEdTech
If asked what kind of educator he is, Jon would say that he loves working on the bleeding edge of technology. In his classes this year he will be using drones, 3D printers, and computer programming to invent, create, discover, design, and produce awesome things! This semester, his 3D Design class is starting a partnership with "eNabling the Future", an organization that pairs children in need of prosthetics with students and fabricators. He is looking forward to seeing how his designers (students) will develop solutions to problems where empathy and human connections are the primary focus of their work.
Jon is also the director of the newly formed school makerspace, aimed at bringing cutting-edge software, engineering and tooling to every student. His afterschool club focuses on creating, making, teamwork and self-discovery. He's always looking to connect, create and innovate!
Mentioned in this podcast:
• Follow Jon on Twitter
• Jon's books: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/author/jonathan-jarc/id967599595?mt=11
• Mya Animation Software
• Jon's favorite books: The Power of Myth and The Hero's Journey, both by Joseph Campbell
• One of Jon's favorite apps, Clipstro
• Kelly's favorite 3-D Printer: And it's inexpensive! Really! Only $399.
• Tickle App
• Swift Playgrounds
• Sphero: I love this! Great for all classes. So many ideas!
• Kelly's book: Along Came a Leader
• Sponsoring a Wired Educator Podcast: This is how you do it.
• Hour of Code: Anyone can start this! Yes, you! Do it.
• Apple Teacher Program: Everybody should earn these badges.